1. The Club shall be known as Cheltenham Swinging Squares. The object of the Club
is to provide square dancing in a spirit of friendliness and co-operation, affording
each member the opportunity of sharing in Club responsibilities.
2. The Club shall be affiliated to the British Association of American Square Dance
3. Full membership shall be open to all adult members of the public who have successfully
completed a course of instruction leading to graduation at the mainstream plateau
of modern American square dancing.
4. Associate membership shall be granted to children and young persons aged between
10 years and 18 years subject to the approval of the Committee who will take into
account the balance of female and male dancers relative to that required for and
compatible with comfortable dancing and shall limit the number of children between
the ages of 10 and 14 years to approximately 12½ % of the total Club membership.
Associate members will not be entitled to voting rights and will only pay 75% of
the annual subscription.
5. Honorary membership shall be granted at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
6. Members of the Club shall be liable to exclusion from the Club at the discretion
of the Executive Committee by a majority vote if the member's conduct is such that
it is in the opinion of the Executive Committee detrimental to the objectives of
7. The Club's affairs shall be managed by the Executive Committee consisting of Chairman,
Secretary, Treasurer, Public Relations Officer, Catering Officer and three Ordinary
Members, who, with the exception of the Treasurer, shall be elected annually by a
ballot of the membership and shall remain in office until the end of the following
A. G. M. The Treasurer shall be appointed by the current Committee and shall assume
office at the beginning of the financial year. His or her appointment is to be ratified
at the subsequent A.G.M. The Club Caller shall be appointed by the membership and
shall be a full member of the Committee.
Duties of the officers shall be:-
Chairman - Convene and preside over Committee and General Meetings. In case of tied
vote in committee the Chairman shall hold the casting (deciding) vote.
Secretary - Responsible for all Club correspondence, publications to the membership
and minutes of all meetings.
Treasurer - Responsible for managing the Club finances. When possible shall restrict
Club expenditure to maintain a free balance of £800. Reduction of the balance below
this figure shall require approval of the Committee. He shall submit a yearly balance
sheet to the Annual General Meeting. Before this meeting the accounts shall be audited
by a person selected by the committee and who need not be a Committee member.
Public Relations Officer - Responsible for all publicity and external publications.
Catering Officer - Responsible for organising catering at all Club events. Club Caller
- Advise on all matters of music and dancing
Sub-Committees shall be appointed as necessary by the Committee from Club members
with the agreement of those concerned.
Five members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum.
8. Executive Committee members shall normally be required to serve for not less than
one year. Elections and re-elections shall normally be held at the Annual General
Meeting. Should a Committee member resign before the A.G.M. the Committee shall co-opt
a replacement to serve for the remainder of the term of the re signing officer should
such a period of time merit it.
9. Nominations must be received by the Secretary at least seven days before the A.G.M.
10. A Committee member may be asked to resign by a unanimous vote of the remainder
of the Committee subject to 30 days notice to the membership.
11. Any member on request to the Secretary, may have access to the minutes of any
12. The Annual General Meeting shall be called as near as possible to the end of
the dancing season. The business of the A.G.M. shall be conducted by those Committee
and other members present.
13. An Extraordinary General Meeting may be called by not less than one third of
the member-ship ship after not less the thirty (30) days notice to the Secretary.
Such a meeting may be called by the Committee with fourteen (14) days notice to the
14. The Club financial year shall be concurrent with the dancing year and subscriptions
are due on the day following the end of the season and payable not later than September
30th. Failure to pay by September 30th shall result in lapse of membership. The annual
subscription shall be decided by a majority at an Extraordinary or Annual General
15. This constitution may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of those eligible
members submitting ballots or present and voting and any proposed amendment must
be put in writing and signed by eight (8) Club members.
Any proposals that may change the Club format, frequency of dancing, levels, learners
should be with your Management Committee with the requisite signatures at least 14
days prior to any A.G.M. for inclusion on the Agenda. Failure to do so would make
it inadmissible for discussion at that Meeting. The final decision on the viability
and night of any beginners (learners) classes will rest with the Executive Committee.
16. Children and young persons under 16 must be accompanied throughout all Club functions
by either a parent or a responsible adult acting `in loco parentis'.
17. In the event of the dissolution of the Club, the following action shall be taken:-
a) If they are willing, all the Committee members at that time are to become Trustees
of the Club's funds and assets. If less than five Committee members are willing to
accept positions, then nominations shall be sought from those Club members attending
the winding-up meeting (Annual General or Extraordinary), to ensure a board of Trustees
of five members if possible.
b) The Club's assets are to be disposed of, at the discretion of the Trustees and
any income therefrom is to be deposited in the Club's account with the Cheltenham
and Gloucester Building Society or whatever other account the Club may have at that
c) After payment of any outstanding debts and liabilities, any balance of funds is
to remain in that account for a maximum period of five years from the date of the
d) If, within the five year period, the Trustees become aware of the revival of Cheltenham
Swinging Squares Modern American Square Dance Club, with the adoption of the Constitution
in force at the date of dissolution, and offering activities which include the instigation
of a beginners course and a programmed of a least basic plateau dancing, they shall
make those funds, together with any accrued interest, available to that Club to use
in the furtherance of Modern American Square Dancing in the area. If no such Club
come to notice within those five years, such funds are to be given to whichever local
charity or charities the Trustees shall decide.
Footnote to Item 15:- Club Format as at 22nd July, 1994:-
Dancing weekly normally every Friday. Levels - Mainstream with Pre-Announced Plus.
Learners Classes conducted annually.